Sister Gomez

Sister Gomez

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

1st email from Siera in the MTC

Hello everyone!
The MTC is absolutely wonderful!! The only not wonderful thing about it is my lack of device to get my photos onto the computer, which means no pictures this week. (Except the one of me and Mark and Carol - what a huge tender mercy!)
I have an amazing district with the most lovely people. We have all gotten really close. We have had a few struggles in the district, but we've worked through them. Me and my companion are sister training leaders, which means we are impressively in charge of the training of TWO WHOLE SISTERS ... but they're both superb as well :) 
The room we're in is great. Waking up early hasn't been too tough since, first of all, dad encouraged me to live the schedule before I came out and, second of all, because we go to bed early enough to get plenty of sleep. They take good care of us here!
Working out has been one of my favorite parts of the MTC - every morning we go to the fitness center (we avoid the team sports gym like the plague) and lift weights (only every other day, because that's healthiest, mom :) ) and work out on the bikes and watch the movies they have playing and do some stretching and yoga stuff. SO MUCH EXTRA ENERGY. Which, let me assure you, is greatly needed. Especially because our classroom is on the fourth floor and we run up all the stairs each day. 
All of the sisters in my district got priesthood blessings the other day. Our sweet elders fresh out of high school were incredibly nervous, but they handled it like true servants of the Lord. So far, that was the strongest I've felt the spirit here with the possible exception of
GENERAL CONFERENCE!! Man oh man - conference has never been so personal or powerful for me. I loved it so very much, and was focused on my own growth, and also our investigators. 
Also, today we went to the temple which was absolutely wonderful. Nothing in the world beats the temple. 
Ok so for general life living things, my companion is WONDERFUL. Her name is Sister Cheyenne Westwood and I can't imagine how difficult it's going to be to say goodbye to her. We work incredibly well together and are on the same page with our investigators. Interestingly enough, we have very little in common as far as interests, personalities, etc, but we have the same purpose and calling and that is enough! We tend to laugh a lot which is wonderful and helps the days pass happily - not too often though :)
I'm sorry my thoughts are so scattered! Because we're here for only a short time, we only get one P-day in the MTC, and it's only for a short period of time, so I'm zoooming through this email so that I can hear from everyone. 
Anyway, I've taught five lessons so far. 3 to my teacher (Sister Oliphant who is delightful) posing as an investigator and 2 to a girl who really is an nonmember who I think is paid to come here. I learn so much every day from the lessons and my fantastic teachers. I have already grown so much - the MTC is hands down a place of miracles that I see and experience constantly. Especially as far as personal revelation goes. I just have a question, pray and study, and I always find the answers I need. 
Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TALI!!! I don't know if I'll get a chance to tell you that closer to your birthday, so there it is. I hope 21 treats you right. It's weird that I won't see you at all while you're twenty one. 
Also, Naomi, all the sisters in my district were ooohing and ahhhing over how beautiful pictures of you are. And thanks so much for the wonderful handwritten letter!
Ok, I love you all very much. I am so happy in the MTC - the days are long, but it's all right because they're so good that I don't mind them lasting forever. In fact, leaving our Elders and one sister who are all going to South Dakota feels like it's coming too soon. The MTC is wonderful, and every day we prepare a little better for the field. 
Ohh and my focus scripture of the week is not with me ... awkward ... but it's in Doctrine and Covenants (72 maybe?) and I know it says for Sidney Rigdon and Joseph Smith not to worry about their families, because their families are in the hand of the Lord and will be blessed. And then it says that they were commanded to follow the counsels and commandments of the Lord? I wish I had the reference with me, but I've been reading it over and over, especially when I heard that grandpa is going to have open heart surgery after all. I'm praying for him and for all of you always. Love you!
-Sister Gomez

1 comment: