Sister Gomez

Sister Gomez

Monday, October 20, 2014

She made it to Kansas!

Thanks so much for the detailed email mom! I loved it. 

First thing's first - write me at my apartment instead of the mission home! It's much more convenient. I can get letters and read them all week, but I can only write you back on pday. But I STILL WANT LETTERS. They're just the icing on the cake of glorious days in the field :) SO my new address is 807 E. 15th Circle Hutchinson KS 67502
Speaking of that address, I'm in HUTCHINSON. Oh my word it's the best. The members are incredible - we have three sets of missionaries just assigned to this ward because all of the work we're doing with less actives and recent converts and investigators. Me and my companion, and two sets of elders who are also awesome. Our apartment is the best ever - it's three stories and the bottom story is a basement laundry room which is neat and it's just a super nice place with just us two. I'm so blessed to be here in this area that's on fire with missionary work and a companion who is patient and hilarious and wonderful. These are her last two transfers, so I'm her last companion and she's a total veteran of missionary work. She has already taught me so much and her name is sister Engebretsen.
My plane rides were perty cool. I wrote a poem that I will send you in a letter sometime soon. I forgot it today. We've already taught so many lessons - since I've been here, one lady has a baptismal date and a bunch of inactives came to church last Sunday and just so much is happening. The days are good - the weather, for a few more days or weeks is PRIME. Loving it.
Speaking of church, I finally "broke down" if that's what you want to call it. We were sitting, minding our own business in sacrament meeting, enjoying the sweet primary program when all of a sudden they started singing a song that has grown very close to my heart - "God gave us families." Well, I've only ever heard that song by three people - Wes, Owen and Eli Blake - and my reaction was pretty instantaneous and violent haha. Sister Engebretsen looked over all worried as I wept and wept listening to the kids singing. One of the boys totally looked like Owen, too. Ha ha ha ha ha. So awkward. But sweet.
Ok .... also ... oh yes, my district leader is in the coolest video of all time! Look up "Shawn Hamelwright, the call" on youtube. It's a missionary video and he's the star. He's the coolest. All the missionaries here are amazing.
I love you all so much! I hope Halloween is awesome and I pray for you all all the time. I'm so sorry this is so lengthy - I do love my words. I'm going shopping today for a card reader so I can SEND YOU SOME PICTURES because all you get today are my chunky blocks of words. Hopefully President Bell sends the picture soon. We definitely took it and OH tell Sister Maxfield that Sister Bell says, "Don't do anything I wouldn't do," with a little cheeky wink :) I adore them. 

My focus scripture for the week was .... Mark 7:34-36 - And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, 'Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it. For what shall it profit a man if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?'" 
I am working hard to lose myself in the work of the Lord and to forget any of my own concerns. Not that I have many - the Lord has MORE than multiplied any sacrifice I have made. I am truly blessed and see His hand every day. 
Love love love you and thank you SO MUCH for the letters you sent before I even left the MTC from you mom and dad - I got them while in the field and they were my first mail here. I want you both to know that I have used all the things you taught me before I left. I pray for humility and the ability to be taught every day and I have learned so much from my companion - and having dad as a bishop was such a tender mercy and I learned so much. 
Ok bye!
I love you so much! I hope you're all listening to Christmas music!
-Sister Gomez

No comments:

Post a Comment