Sister Gomez

Sister Gomez

Monday, December 22, 2014

REJOICING

Hi guys :)
First of all, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! Second of all HAPPY BIRTHDAY OWEN!!!!!
So this past week the subject of joy and rejoicing and gratitude has been in my heart. Fittingly, it's been one of the HAPPIEST weeks of my whole mission, but also one of the saddest. 
I experienced a lot of tender mercies this week, so I'll start with those. 
1. Brittany, my dear friend from Provo who is also from Newton, Kansas, came home for the holidays and came for a team up with us! It was wonderful, and she is a FANTASTIC missionary :) 
2. A cute little girl in our ward, Maddie, told us at dinner one day, "There's a girl who got in trouble for being mean to all the other kids, so no one plays with her anymore. She was sad, so I went over and told her that I would still be her friend, but that she had to be nice. And then her gave me a hug." which was just really cute. Forgiveness, people. 
3. JEAN!! Jean had some fears about her baptism and wanted to push it back. We testified about the devil trying to dissuade her, but she was pretty firm. The next day we came by to drop off a Christmas present and she was like, "Girls, I have to tell you something. I know I need to get baptized on the twenty seventh. I was just afraid." and so Sister Engebretsen will have a baptism three days before she goes home :) Jean is the best. She is really excited - she ordered herself a cake for her baptism. It says, "Happy Baptism Jean." :) :) :) 
And she had to come to church this past Sunday to be able to be baptized on the twenty seventh, but she called us in the morning and was very shaky and sick. She is also pretty immobile and on oxygen and things, so she had us rush over to her house, help her get dressed, she got someone to pull her car up to the door, and she CAME TO CHURCH. That is dedication. 
So it has been a wonderful week, but on Friday we found out that our investigator Michelle was unconscious in the hospital. Her sister Deloris told us - we were nervous, but it didn't seem too serious. But then I asked what had happened and Deloris said, "She had a blood clot to the heart." 
I felt so sick - and all of my memories from August 22 came rushing back. She passed away yesterday morning - if you can't remember who Michelle is, this is the first I wrote about her way back when - Michelle is this GORGEOUS black woman who, sadly, has gone mostly blind. We taught her and every time we do she weeps a little. She's baffled that people would be so willing to help her, but we've come out and done service for her and we're also teaching her and she is on date for the twenty ninth of this month. Plus she's a sass to the core, so she and I get along real well. 
Anyway, we've been struggling a lot. We are teaching her other family members, and we're so worried about them, and we miss her and there have been a lot of tears, but it's interesting that the subject on my mind has been REJOICING. 
I am so grateful for Christ. I am so grateful for my Savior and for His infinite atonement. I am so, so incredibly and eternally grateful that he died for us and that HE LIVES and that no goodbye is permanent. I was so touched by an email my mom sent out called, "The kind of miss I love."  2014 has seen so much loss, but there has been so much joy in Christ! I hope that this week you all feel the spirit of this wonderful season as much as we have here. 
I love and miss you all!
-Sister Gomez

Pictures:
1. Me and Timmy, the cutest kid ever. 
2. I got to see Sister Westwood at a mission Christmas party :D
3. Michelle's beautiful grand baby we got to meet.
4. Our Christmas card wall - thank you everyone who has been kind enough to think of us! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment